PowerShell v3 Where-Object Syntax Produces Different Results Than v2 Syntax

I posted a blog yesterday about a PowerShell issue I was experiencing and the problem ended up being due to the new PowerShell version 3 Where-Object Syntax producing different results than the PowerShell version 2 Where-Object syntax.

Piping Get-Volume to Where-Object and filtering on the drive letter using the version 3 syntax appears to be case sensitive. It doesn’t return results when using a lower case ‘c’:

Using the PowerShell version 2 syntax with Where-Object does not appear to be case sensitive. Both upper and lower case letters return the same results:

Yeah, I know Get-Volume has a DriveLetter parameter to filter on this without having to use Where-Object. See my previous blog for more details on how I came to this conclusion.

Just an FYI, I’ve only tested this on Windows 8.

Update:
Very strange. I’ve tried this on two other Windows 8 machines and neither one of them have this issue (they return the same results with either syntax) and I know at least one of them was installed with the same media. Further investigation to follow. I’ll try loading PowerShell with the -noprofile option next to make sure nothing in my profile is causing an issue.

µ

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: