Unable to View a Shared Desktop or Application in a Microsoft Lync 2013 Meeting

Recently while using Microsoft Lync 2013 to view a shared desktop or application in a meeting, I experienced an issue where I could only see a blank white screen as shown in the image below:

lync1

Event ID 301, Microsoft Office 15 Alerts was logged in the event log with the following details:

Microsoft Lync
CLSID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
CATID: {9B179D6E-9BDB-454b-BE3D-89F9A792BD39}
The ActiveX Compatibility setting disabled loading this object to help protect your security.
P1: 1073695582
P2: 15.0.4420.1017
P3:
P4: 0x80004005

lync2

I tracked this down to the following registry key: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerActiveX Compatibility{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}”

lync3

I backed up this registry key and then removed it using PowerShell:

lync4

Now the registry key is gone:

lync5

Then the issue with viewing a shared desktop or applicaiton in Lync 2013 was resolved:

lync6

1. joey

I have the same problem, but dont have the exact registry key mentioned above. How do i know which reg. entry is the problem?

• Bob Gilmore

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftInternet ExplorerActiveX Compatibility{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} (if using LYNC 2013 32 bits on Windows 8 64 bits)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerActiveX Compatibility{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} (if running LYNC 2013 64 bits or running LYNC 2013 32 bits on Windows 8 32 bits)

2. Nico Välimäki

This solution works, thank you!

3. Chris

This is totally the fix,

Windows 7 64bit
    Microsoft Office 2013 Standard 64bit
    Microsoft Lync 2013 64bit

I copy and paste that powershell and a reboot later we are good to go.

Thanks,

4. Nilesh Taras

I am Working in a MNC as a ServiceDesk Analyst and I found this post…Mike you are A Gem .. thanks a lot!!.. Enjoy 🙂

5. Vallory

After working with my company’s service desk for days with no resolution, I stumbled across your fix. Thank you. I thank you and my company thanks you as I’ll pass the info along.

6. B.widyatmoko

after looking solution for this problem on microsoft with no hope…
    you saved my day… 😀

7. Dain

Thank you, Mike! This worked!

8. Bhrett

I have had the same issue, deleted the key, worked for a while and now back to blank screen.

• Claudio

I’min the same situation as you Bhrett. Blank screen is back again. Still apperas the same error on event viewer but the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerActiveX Compatibility{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} doesnt exist.

Can anyone help??

9. Eric Lien

Sadly this didn’t fix the issue for me. Win8.1 factory install. This feature used to work, and suddenly one day stopped working. Any advice?

10. Sang

Does anyone know the cause of this yet? A user of mine had this issued before, tried this resolution and it worked. It came back again today and tried it again and it worked again. But do not know what keeps causing it.

• Eric Lien

Since it’s sometimes related to Active X, I’d wager it’s probably anytime IE gets a security patch. I have no real evidence of this, other than after an update is when it stopped working for me.

11. dsakjgfdsf

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} (if using LYNC 2013 32 bits on Windows 8 64 bits)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} (if running LYNC 2013 64 bits or running LYNC 2013 32 bits on Windows 8 32 bits)

12. Gowthaman

Hello ,

Im trying to use the share program option in a lync meeting.Firstly im trying to use a power point presentation in full screen mode with enable edit option , i get to see a blank screen.This doesnot happen when i use the ppt nor share the desktop option.Purpose of using the program option is that I will edit the document or the presentation based on the participants inputs,Please suggest a fix as im cancelling all meetings because of this

13. Joe

Thank you, this worked great!

14. Alex

Good one! Thanks, it solved my problem

15. Haymme

Thank a lot, it worked.

16. Amar

HI Mike , I do not even able to see Desktop Icon under manage presentable content.

17. Milind

There are two widespread solutions for this. Changing the Registry and updating the video drivers. Unfortunately neither is working for me on the HP ZBook 15 running Windows 7 64 bit and Lync 2013. The third solution is uninstalling and re-installing Lync. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Office 2013 as well. No dice.

18. thulasiram

Hi Mike can i get a solution for my issue. i have been using my Skype 2013 but recently facing an issue with the Desktop sharing. when i started sharing it gives a message like ”Network issues ended the presentation. Please try again.”

19. thulasiram

can anybody answer my question please

20. Sankar

I have tried the Win7 64 bit fix, but couldn’t find the mentioned AxtiveX attribute in registry, but still the user facing the above mentioned error. Any further assistance would greatly appreciated.

21. Autoran

Perfect! Problem solved by removing CLSID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} from

22. Burnz

the above solution get fixed my Lync problem, thank you.