How to Install the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) on Windows 8 RTM

There’s good news and bad news. The bad news is based on what I’ve read on the Internet, the Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8 RTM won’t be available until next month, although that makes sense because Windows Server 2012 won’t be available until next month either. So what do I use in the mean time?

The good news is that it’s possible to install the RSAT for Windows 8 Release Preview on Windows 8 RTM if you can’t wait. Say what? I already tried that and got an error. There’s a certain way you have to do the installation and like I said in my previous blog, if you work in the technology sector and you’re not on twitter, you’re missing out big time. On Friday August 17th, Brian Wilhite (@bwilhite1979) tweeted how to install them.

I’ve tested this out and it does indeed work. First, read the disclaimer on the right side of this blog since this is unsupported, then launch an elevated command prompt. See my blog from yesterday if you don’t know how to do that. Download the RSAT for Windows 8 RP if you haven’t done so already and extract them into a folder using the following command:

Install the tools using the following command and give it a while. It may not appear to be doing anything, but it will install.

1. Robert

I tried this one two computer, work 100% on the one, but not on the other, it launches the windows package installer, for about 5 seconds and then just closes it again,

Any one else with this problem?

2. Trevor

Stops for me also

3. Trevor

Event log says: The servicing request received for package KB2693643 cannot be satisfied since the package is not applicable.

4. Jonas Wiberg

Yea, me to.
    Wont work for me.
    I keep getting the following error in setup eventlog.
    Any idees?

5. anona

You most be on Win8 Pro. Enterprise and Core do not seem to work.

6. Robert

Hi All, I am running Win 8 Pro, so that is not the problem. The official RSAT have been release now, but I was not able to install them either, but have found the problem and that solution might have worked for this as well. you must have the en-us language pack installed for it to work. I am on en-gb hence it appears to work, but does nothing. Check the below link.

7. Robbie Clark

Robert’s last comment is correct. Additionally, if you are in an domain environment that has a WSUS server, you will not be able to download the EN-US language pack from the Windows 8 PC. You’ll have to do it through the WSUS server. Once WSUS has the update, then you can go to language settings and download and install the update to the Windows 8 PC.

Then just a reboot and try the RSAT install again and it should work.