Hyperlink Issues – MS Office

Problem:
You receive the error message “This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator” when clicking on a hyperlink from any office application after updating Internet Explorer to version 7 or 8. The specific error I received was:IELinkProblem

Solution:
Change the registry value in [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOThtmlfileshellopencommand] from “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE” -nohome to “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” -nohome . The update of Internet Explorer apparently changes the executable name in the registry to upper case. Simply changing the name of the executable in the registry back to lower case resolves this problem.

You can also copy the text below, paste it into notepad, and save it as “html_fix.reg”. Make sure the file extension is “.reg” and not “.txt”. Double click the .reg file to fix the issue:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOThtmlfileshellopencommand]
@=””C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” -nohome”

Before:
ie_reg_problem

After:
ie_reg_fix

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOThtmlfileshellopencommand]
@=””C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” -nohome”

1. ssgries

Hi,

I tried everything listed in the discussion thread on this problem and like everyone else nothing resolved the restriction on hyperlinks. I got to yours and launched you sit and followed the instructions above. I do not have a htmlfile/shell/open/command when expandiong the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but did find an html and notice the default was set for ChromeHTML; I reset to htmlfile but don’t know if it will resolve the problem yet. Am I missing something in my registry? I have the saem me software – Vista, Outlook 7 installed and uninstalled chrome and went to IE8 in teh past 2 weeks when this problem started.

• µ

It sounds like the issue you are having was caused by something other than the installation of IE 7 or 8 (which is what this article is meant to resolve). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is an alias of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClasses so check that location, my guess is that it won’t exist there either though. I would follow the last part of the article which will import the settings into the registry since they should exist, however the installation of Google Chrome could have overridden these settings at the user level in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREClasses. So take a look there also.

2. phatt

Your advice didn’t work for me but it did help me find the solution.
    When I looked in the registry key I noticed Notepad++ had associated itself with HTM and HTML files.
    It seems Notepad++ makes the change but it doesn’t appear in the ‘default programs’ settings in control panel.
    The defaults still had Firefox as the default.
    Changing the settings from within Notepad++ fixed the problem.

many thanks.

3. Mark Cummings

I also had same problem after un-installing Google Chrome,and like hundreds of others trawled the net for answers and foun this.in Windows Vista with Office 2007 opened the registry to find..
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    .html
    ab (Default) CHROMEHTML

So changed back to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    .html
    ab (Default) htmlfile (lowercase)

and the problem went away, took seconds..
    Hope this gets around as there are still loads of people looking for answers on microsoft technet etc..

• Victor

I am so grateful for this post, I looked everywhere!!! This was the only thing that fixed it, you should post this somewhere so its a topic heading!!!!

• Janice Matthews

I spent hours trying various fixes – and this was the answer for me! Thank you, thank you, thank you……

• David Weiss

@Mark Cummings THANK’S A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!
      I had a same problem and you helped me to solve it! GOD BLESS YOU BOY!!!!

• Jekah

Mark, you save us all! THANK YOU!!!

• Terry

You are my Hero! Like others, I looked everywhere and I was not going to reinstall Chrome. Thank you and this need to be publish on the web so others, like me, don’t have to search so much to find this simple fix. I would also include the instructions for opening the Registry Editor, I also had to search for this.

• Steve

Awsome experience glad I know how to search in depth to find solutons like this.
      Thanks for the help worked perfect!

• Bruce

What is the “registry” and where do I find it?

4. Marty Albert

Nice easy fix from Mark. Thank you very much. I did a seach in regedit and found a few other entries that had CHROMEHTML and I changed them as well.

5. Colin Middleton

I have tried so many different solutions to this problem, installing this, removing that, all to no avail – then hey presto – genius!

6. Martijn Wehrens

Finally something that cuts this down by the root.
    Thank you, Mark! 🙂

The world needs a ‘put things back in order’ registry file.
    why don’t we get one from M$ ?!

7. jeff

works like a champ!!…all of this time that i have wasted looking for a fix…..thanks Mark!! from a year later…

8. CC

Mark is the MAN!

9. Carlos

Thanks for the post, this work great!!!

10. lykaj

Worked for me too – thank you

11. thankyou

It worked on my Outlook 2007!!!!
    Mine had OperaStable I changed it to htmlfile and it worked in a few seconds!!!
    Thanks Heaps!!!

12. Bobbie

I’m sorry…I am new at this and quite elderly…so, where exactly do I find ‘the registry’ I have been attempting to fix this problem (by myself) for many days but I cannot even find where to begin. Thank you so much for any detailed help/directions anyone can give so that I can find the registry and then where to go from there